Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Kindergarten Crazies

This week my sister & I send our second borns to kindergarten. Both whom happen to be heavily spirited & gifted in song & dance at inappropriate times. Today, I'd like to introduce you to Benny P.

Benny P is my second born. He is starting kindergarten today. He came in to this world three days before Christmas.  And quite frankly he is a GIFT. He was the easiest baby. Fit right into our family like he had always been here. It was dreamy. And whimsical. 



Then he started to talk.

And well, he has never shut up. Seriously. 



He talks to doorknobs, flowers, his siblings (to their dismay), & complete strangers at the check out line in the store...."HEY!!! My dad is out of town until Thursday!! And my FULL name is B-E-..." <----- so please come and steal my children in the night & egg my house. (that is one of a few times I've contemplated selling him to gypsies)

He is the funniest kid. The family comedian. He inserts the word poot in to any sentence he can & is so inappropriate sometimes that it's hard to keep a straight face. He's notorious for making up words if he doesn't know the answer (I feel like this trait comes from his father. Kdog.). He told the teacher at his Kindergarten interview when showed a rectangle....'oooh. I know that. That's a Rectile."  I'm sorry if you didn't find that funny. You can stop reading if you need to. The other day he was trying to remember my friends name (who also happens to be my best friend from elementary school. Huh?! That's completely weird.). Anyway, he says, "Oh, yeah...Panera is coming over." (her name is Tara). 

I can't believe Benny P is starting school. 

I somehow just don't understand how much time has passed & he can't possibly be old enough for school. Wait, that may be due to me having four kids. Or something. I may have been in a few mini comas after each baby was born. (and I don't say that to make fun of comas. Because anyone that knows me RIGHT after having a child knows that I am straight up delirious & slightly frightening for a good three months).

Ok, now I need to really lay it out there. 

Having children in public schools is frightening. But it is also important. Kdog & I went round and round about homeschooling. And these words have stuck in my head like no other words I've ever heard:

"Renae, there are lots of things we want to protect our children from in this life. And they are going to see & hear many things that we don't do or say in our home.  But these other kids need our children. Our children are a LIGHT in a dark world. Our children are going to be the hands & feet of Christ. It is our job as parents to instill in them AT HOME the love of CHRIST. It is our job to teach them right from wrong. It is our job to equip them with the knowledge that Jesus is the way, the truth & the life. And then we pray. We pray LONG & HARD and never ceasing that they stay on the path that Christ created just for them & that they teach other children how to follow Him too."

Oh dear heavens. That right there sent me on a romantic spiral. I went from seeing red to seeing silly hearts & giggling like I did when I was 15 and falling in love with him all over again. 

He was on to something. And as much as I wanted to fight it...I knew that Kdog was right. (yeah yeah yeah...kdog. you WERE right. pfssssssst.) blah blah blah blah. 

I mean, these are words FROM JESUS. 

"You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven." Matthew 5:14-16

Now, let me clarify. This is OUR family's choice. I have no problem with homeschool.  Love it. And if for some reason one of our children needed to be home schooled because of various circumstances then we would do so. But, for our family, and our children currently, we choose public education. (until Benny P gets kicked out for talking too much & using the word poot in too many sentences. "hey, Merry Pootmas"). 

Seriously, there are going to come many trials from our children. And Benny P, our Christmas gift, is on the top of the list for causing me ulcers & a glass of red wine in the evening. WHAT?!?! Oh my word. I love JESUS & I drink wine. (and beer). Or whatever. The catch is...I don't abuse it. But, that's an entirely different Loooooong wonderful post that will happen eventually. 

I have a case of the Kindergarten Crazies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate