Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Grace. And I'm not talking about your great aunt.

I woke up this morning with these lyrics in my head going over & over...

Amazing Grace 
How sweet the sound 
Amazing Love 
Now flowing down 
From hands and feet 
That were nailed to the tree 
As Grace flows down and covers me 
It covers me 
It covers me 
It covers me 
And covers me


Here's the link to the song. It's pretty simple but the words will resonate in your soul.



Fully understanding His grace is complicated. 

Why would our God love us despite all of our short comings? Why would He never leave us? How can He still have hope for our actions when we are constantly failing?

Grace.

Plain & simple.

Grace.

{We have gradually come to speak of grace as an inherent quality in man, just as we talk of gifts; whereas it is in reality the communication of Divine goodness by the inworking of the Spirit, and through the medium of Him who is ‘full of grace and truth.’” — Robert Girdlestone, Synonyms of the Old Testament (London: Longmans, Green and Co., 1871), p. 179.}

Communication of Divine goodness by the Holy Spirit. 

I like it. 

A lot.

It's interesting how perspectives change once you have kids. I had always tried to understand His love for me. I knew He did(does) & always will. But when I had kids it suddenly dawned on me.

The way I love my kids is the closest thing on this side of eternity to compare Christ's love for me. 
(Compare is a relative term because we can never really compare His love, humanly speaking)..

But think of it!!! You love your children unconditionally, yes?!? (Even when your daughter says, 'you're the most horrible mom EVER!! Or your son says 'I know you said not to poke my brother in the eye but I did anyway because his breath smells & it made me gag').

We still love 'em. No matter what.

Flip it around...

God still loves us when we yell 'why is this happening?' Or 'I disobeyed your calling even though I knew better!'

His love will never change or move or have conditions attached to it.

Grace. His grace covers me.

It flows down & covers my failures. 

Grace covers my tired body as I slip into bed and leave dinner dishes on the kitchen table.

His grace covers me when I lose my temper.

My sarcastic tongue is slathered in His grace & so are my judging thoughts.

And because I know this TRUTH I am held accountable.

To do better.
To try harder.
To love more.
Judge less.

You see these faces?!?



They remind me to be held accountable. 

Every word I speak that their ears can hear are absorbed somewhere in their souls.

Pleasant words are flowing honey, sweet to the taste and healing to the bones. (Proverbs 16:24 CEB)

Every night before bed I (or K-dog) sing Amazing Grace with our kids as we tuck them in. 

Every night. 

After we pray over our children they ask for that song. 

I'm not sure when or how that started?!? But I'm so very thankful it did. It helps remind us to be doers of the Word. Giving grace to others.

'Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like someone who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do.' (James 1:23-25 NIV)

Sooooooo....

That friend who you were once close with but has pulled away and you aren't sure why. Give her grace.

The people at Lowes who put out witches near the front entrance who screech & scare your kids at Halloween (causing you to punch that thing silly to calm down your 3 year old). Give them grace too.

The rude guy in Kroger who jumped in front of you at the checkout line while your three year olds head was spinning (& you were thinking of grabbing your bible & performing an exorcism). Give him grace.

That early 20-something dude who dropped an F-bomb practically in your 8 year olds face at a football game. Give him grace too. (Then politely tell him to watch his language And REFRAIN from busting his mouth up with a left cross for the love of Jesus).

Whew!! 

Jesus woke me up this morning straight up slapping me in the face with Grace!! 

He put that song in my brain. He gave me these words. 

And I'm praying I gain more understanding of His grace each & everyday.









1 comment:

  1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f02YXBP-KFE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

    ReplyDelete

Translate