Monday, March 31, 2014

What if?

For about five days now I've had my next blog post swirling around in my brain. And quite frankly I can't stand it when this happens to me sometimes! I'm just being honest...

I was driving down the road and heard the song What if? by Nicole Nordeman.  I started to dissect the lyrics. And when I did there was this rush of urgency that came over me. Someone needs to read this...

Her song starts off like this:

What if you're right?
And he was just another nice guy
What if you're right?
What if it's true?
They say the cross will only make a fool of you
And what if it's true?

What if he takes his place in history
With all the prophets and the kings
Who taught us love and came in peace
But then the story ends
What then?


There are SO MANY people that go through my head when I hear this song. So many wonderful, smart, beautiful, gracious, loving people that I am acquaintances with who don't really know The Lord. And I love these people. I love them dearly. I pray for their lives and souls to just open up...

Then I want to jack them up in the name of Jesus. 

WHAT?!?!

I can't even explain it. I envision myself shaking them and throwing water on them yelling WAKE UP! WAKE UP!! And they come alive out of the horrible dream they are living in. 

Then I snap out of it and realize they probably want to do the same to me! If you don't believe and haven't received the Lord then your capability to love and show grace is not on the same level as love filled with the Holy Spirit. 

So. Now what? 

How do you reach someone who is lost? But they don't know they're lost? 

Well. 

I, me, personally, can't reach anyone. But Jesus and the power of the Holy Spirit can move mountains. And I pray DAILY that someone who is doubting or wavering or even just plain lost is sparked by the hue that comes from my body...

If you can't see the Holy Spirit alive in me as I live my day to day life than I might as well not even claim to know His power or love. 

And if I'm not...then you better call me out on it! I'm not even kidding. How could I write this stuff and then not "walk the walk".  There are no double standards here. No ma'am. 

I think of those who don't know the Lord and the next verse of her song plays over and over and over in my head...



But what if you're wrong?
What if there's more?
What if there's hope you never dreamed of hoping for?
What if you jump?
And just close your eyes?
What if the arms that catch you, catch you by surprise?
What if He's more than enough?
What if it's love?


Seriously. What if you're wrong? What are you losing (besides control) if you surrender your life to Christ? You lose eternal darkness and fear. It is replaced by HOPE. When you have Jesus in your life you always have HOPE. 

11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 12 Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. 13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. Jeremiah 29:11-13

You lose NOTHING when you seek the Lord but you gain EVERYTHING. 

There is an ancient philosopher named Blaise Pascal. He wrote a collection of thoughts that in summary titled Pascal's Wager. What if you read his wager & it was the catalyst that opened your eyes to believing in Truth?!? While I don't agree with everything he ever wrote he hits the nail on the head here...

Pascal says, "I should be much more afraid of being mistaken and then finding out that Christianity is true than of being mistaken in believing it to be true."

Of course it is SO MUCH MORE than just wagering. It's a relationship.  With Jesus.

It isn't all whimsy and twirly and rosy...but when the days get long and the burdens are heavy then you have a resting place. You have a comfort like no other. Nothing earthly can compare to the feeling of the Holy Spirit filling your body. 

Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28


You know that nagging feeling you get when something isn't right with your kid? Or that weird sensation you feel when you're listening to a song that just really moves you? Or what about how your heart swells to the point of exploding when you look at your sweet babies sleeping at night. 

THAT. THAT is CHRIST!


What if you allow yourself to feel and think and dig...

What if you dig
Way down deeper than your simple-minded friends
What if you dig?
What if you find
A thousand more unanswered questions down inside
That's all you find?
What if you pick apart the logic
And begin to poke the holes
What if the crown of thorns is no more
Than folklore that must be told and retold?


And after you dig you think....ok, now what? Crap. 

Here's the cool part. 

Just receive His love. It's free. You do NOTHING to earn it. It is given without strings attached. Never failing. Relentless. 

For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God. Ephesians 2:8

Do you feel like you're constantly running? Or treading water? Are you just trying not to drown? Listen, I feel you. I do. And just because I love the Lord doesn't mean I never feel that way. But what I do feel instead is relief. I can take those feelings and throw them at God. He takes them and works it all out. Christ has it all figured out and GOOD GRAVY that is comforting. And He works everything for our good. I'm so NOT EVEN KIDDING. 

And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. Romans 8:28

Seek Him. Find Him. Receive Him. Let Him run wild with your life and as you surrender to His love and grace and His plans you'll find reprieve. 

Rest. In Jesus.

Are you tired? Have you been running so hard in the opposite direction that you can't even get the breath to turn your head around and look over your shoulder? 

Stop.

Turn around. 

Receive His love and rest.


You've been running as fast as you can
You've been looking for a place you can land for so long
But what if you're wrong?


Seriously...

What if you're wrong?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate