Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Witness

When you ask God to break your heart for what breaks His, He does not hesitate to answer. I've always had a soft spot in my heart for people (and for animals) but lately God is using this and doing something different in me. I was walking through Wal-Mart today and happened to pass by a muslim woman and her sweet little boy who was riding in a shopping cart. I smiled. She didn't, but that didn't matter to me. And then my heart broke. Right there in the middle of the paper products isle.

Usually I can't tell by just passing by whether or not someone knows Jesus. But because of her head covering, it was blatant that she was not a Christian and did not know Jesus. Not that I've never passed by a muslim person before, but today was the day that it hit me. If nobody intervenes, this woman is going to hell. And what's more, she'll never teach her precious son about Jesus either.

My eyes filled with tears. I'm not sure why God chose today to let me see this child of His through His eyes, but He did. And I think I may have failed. Was I supposed to stop her in the middle of Wal-Mart and ask her if she knew Jesus? I'm not sure. But what I do know is that it wrecked me and I was extra thankful that I was by myself.

My first thought, as I was standing there crying by the cat litter, was that I am not a good witness. And I don't know if I'll ever get much better. Then my thoughts turned quickly to my own children. First, I just stood there and thanked God for them. I thanked Him for their pure hearts and for their willingness to pray anytime, anywhere, for anyone. But mostly I thanked Him that my children already know Jesus. My heart has been at ease for some time knowing that if anything happens to them or to me...you know what I mean...I KNOW WITHOUT A DOUBT that we will meet again in heaven one day. I take incredibly strong comfort in that. Tomorrow is not guaranteed, folks.

Still, my question is: How do I help my children do better than I do? How do I teach them to witness? And God said to me...

1. Take them to church. Every week. Or more. That's kind of obvious, I know, but that's one place that children can gain knowledge, language, and experiences that will help them to put the story of Jesus in their own words.

2. Model. Even when it feels awkward. Let them see you talking to others about Jesus - even if it's only with people you know and are comfortable with. Help them to know that it's perfectly natural and ok to talk to other people about Jesus. It's the best news in the world! It's exciting and it should be shared!

3. Talk about witnessing. Ask your children if they've ever talked to friends at school about Jesus. Tell them that it's ok to do that if they want to or if they feel like God is telling them to share. It feels good to obey what God is asking us to do. And it feels beyond good to know that our friends will be able to go to heaven if they know Jesus!!

4. Encourage them. When you hear your child talking to others about God, Jesus, church, or even things like fruits of the spirit, praise them for it! If the angels are rejoicing in heaven because your child is helping to expand the Kingdom, you should be rejoicing too!

5. Let it stand that they can invite any friend to church anytime. No matter if you really wanted to sleep late and slip into church right as the service starts the next day. No matter if you don't feel like having one more noisy kid in the car on Sunday morning. Guaranteed, you will end up being blessed in some way...and someone's little soul may be hanging in the balance.

Jeremiah1:7-8
But the Lord said to me, “Do not say, ‘I am only a youth’; for to all to whom I send you, you shall go, and whatever I command you, you shall speak. Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you to deliver you, declares the Lord.”


Matthew 21:15-16
When the religious leaders saw the outrageous things he was doing, and heard all the children running and shouting through the Temple, “Hosanna to David’s Son!” they were up in arms and took him to task. “Do you hear what these children are saying?”
Jesus said, “Yes, I hear them. And haven’t you read in God’s Word, ‘From the mouths of children and babies I’ll furnish a place of praise’?”








No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate